Saturday, April 10, 2010

Swim Gear & Longevity Without Exposure...

Recently I was looking around for ideas on the best swim practice attire that would last more than 2 months and not break the bank. You know you've seen the guy at the pool with the swim pants that are little too thin in the rear... heck, my wife said I was that guy a few times. Oops. With the family, money is a big concern when supporting my triathlon habit. Plus, I don't have time to go shopping store to store asking about different brands and what some sales associate from Dick's Sporting Goods thinks (sorry if you are a sporting goods employee, but many sporting goods employees wouldn't know much about swimming gear - and most stores don't have a large selection).

So, I did want any Internet savvy triathlete type person would do... I went on a forum and asked. Here's what I found out.

1. True Swimmers aren't much for jammers at the pool. Example of a jammer.
2. Triathletes usually are not swimmers to start with and have SOME modesty left, therefore jammers are the crowd favorite.
3. Go for polyester or PBT polyester - they last the longest in the pool chemicals and stand up well to the "friction" generated by kicking in the pool. Most people that commented on that type of fabric said they were using the same pair for multiple years and had no problems with them!

See some of my choices for Jammers that fit the bill and don't cost an arm and a leg:
Jammers in General
Jammer 1
Jammer 2

Here's another option. If you like the historical brief speedo, but want some coverage, or you want some resistance at the pool, you can try poly mesh pants:
Poly Mesh Pants
I might try some myself sometime.

Here's a few other random items for some training time at the pool:
Kickboards
Kickboard 1
Pull Buoys
Pull Bouy 1

For any other swim gear you're looking for, check out SwimOutlet.com.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Good to know. My wife and both just had this same problem. We bought our last pair of jammers from Dick's Sporting Goods, and they were of the 3 month variety. I'll check out swimoutlet in 3 more months:)

--Jeff
www.pingjeffgreene.com

RFalkenrath said...

I got lucky one time and found a Speedo jammer made of polyester on the back of a rack in my size at Dick's. Most of the time I haven't had that kind of good luck.