Monday, January 3, 2011

And we're off!

2011 is stomping right along.

First event up, Groundhog Run Jan 30th.  It's hosted in some underground caves used for storage here in KC.  Nice and warm until you run past the dumpsters they forgot to clean out for the weekend.


TRAINING
The Groundhog Race is usually my 10k PR race.  I don't run many 10k's or shorter so this is one of the few opportunities to PR.  Hoping sub 48, 45 would be cool.  I'm not sure what to expect.  I have succeeded in staying around 180 over the winter when in the past I get to 185 or 190.  From 2010 I've learned how much dropping weight really affects my race.  So, now's the time to start ditching Christmas cookies and sticking to the slimfast lunch plan.  Don't tell me wife but I'd like to race around 170...

I do have to give the new year resolution crowd props this morning.  The gym was not as insane as I was expecting.
Treadmill runners, score 1
Swimmers, score 1
24 Fitness, score -6 since that was how many treadmills were down.  Ya, probably the biggest workout week of the year and they can't seem to fix treadmills that have been out since last week.  Not impressed here people... as Chris Berman would say, C'MON MAN.


EXAMINER
Tips for Beginner Triathletes
Ironman isn't the only well organized 140.6 mile events
Lance Armstrong delays Triathlon Comeback


FALKEE TRIATHLON
Dec 26th has come and gone, and with is was the deadline for athletes to apply.  I have 60+ applicants for the team so hopefully I get some time to whittle it down so people can get on and take advantage of the sponsors before the season.


FAMILY
Family is doing decent after an abysmal Christmas.  Saw some old friends over New Years and Liam has been at home since Christmas from the hospital.  He's still not 100% and has a minor procedure tomorrow for a feeding tube placement that should hopefully give him some relief with his reflux.  We're trying to get into a pattern and family life but it's always looming that Liam could take a turn or need more hospitalization.  Don't want to jinx us.


CHIEFS
Got a rare treat to go to a Chiefs game yesterday.  The experience was great tailgating with familiar faces and made up for the fact the Chiefs didn't really show up.  Lost 31-10 to the Raiders.  They were in the playoffs no matter what but man, you would think they would want a last complete game before heading in since 2003.  Not so much.  But it was nice getting a game in this season.  As my two year old daughter would say, Go Chieps!

2 comments:

Christi said...

I can't believ 24 hr fitness can't get it together. I have not been happy with my 24 hr fitness so I am dropping my membership. I was only there for the pool and they have not been taking care of that at all. Time for a new gym!

Jason said...

Love the go Chieps....that is awesome.

I hope everything turns out well with Liam.

2011 is here and it isn't going anywhere.