Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Money Money Money


Has anyone else noticed the price of groceries is creeping up?  News here in KC reported as much as 130% increase.  Holy crap!  With trying to eat healthy, that involves eating items not processed as much as others and fresh fruits, etc.  You guys know the drill about eating right and being a triathlete or endurance athlete.  I'll be the first to admit I don't wholly subscribe to eating right all of the time, or even like 70% of the time.  I sneak a Starbucks, cereal bars for a quick boost at work in the morning or afternoon, and ice cream is a big obstacle for me.  But, as a family we try and keep it healthy but with prices going through the roof, it's just not as economical to buy individual ingredients that add up to $20 a meal when you can get a hamburger helper for $5 that serves the same size family.  The economy is not helping the whole health movement to get the majority of the population to move away from obesity.  Maybe if we could make fresh foods as cheap as an instant dinner...



AND gas is not helping either!  This morning the KS news said that $4 per gallon could happen by May.  I believe it.  We shot past $3 here and it's still February.  Want to travel to an event?  Get ready to pay.  My truck doesn't help either.  Motivates me to try and commute on the bike to work more often, but then I could incur some medical expenses when an irate driver is late for work and spilled Starbucks on their lap because they had to slam on the breaks to slow down and lose 5 seconds on the way to work in order to not hit me... what? Ya.



I know these cost of living increases are impacting me and my family and what we can do as far as extracurricular activities.

We have resigned ourselves to eating smaller portions for more leftovers and taking the car with better gas mileage everywhere we can.  When the weather gets to stable and above 50 around here, I'll be hoping to commute more often by bike to work.  Not the end of the world but we find we have to be more intentional with how we do things we took for granted before.

What about you guys?  Make enough money that it's no biggie?  =)

4 comments:

Christi said...

I like you probably need to drive our more economical car more often. No more excuses!

Unknown said...

It's only going to get worse...much worse.

On that note, you want to go for a ride some Sunday morning? Hit me up if you do.

Becky H said...

Make enough money... haha! I work part time so I can be home with my kids when they are not at school, so as a result we sacrifice some things... I have cut way back on my race schedule, we try to work our recreational weekend activities around things that are free and I can't buy every little gadget my tri-heart desires. I create meals around items on sale and buy bulk (buying a half a cow at a time from a farmer is quite a lot cheaper, once you get around the money up front. You also have control over where the meat comes from!) My kids have been told we will only buy two boxes of cereal a month ... after that they're eating oatmeal (I like this plan since I hate boxed cereal anyway!)packaged goodies (like granola bars, crackers, etc) are only for road trips. We eat meat at evening meals only, and more vegetarian options for lunches. Eggs are dinner quite often as well, as they are inexpensive. I found when we cut out a lot of the prepackaged stuff, our costs went down... produce still costs a LOT, but it has balanced out somewhat. I've kind of enjoyed this transition to eating less packaged stuff, my family eats a lot better, I feel better and I've discovered cooking is a lot of fun!

Anonymous said...

Chris I like your profile pix.
Hubby and I easily spend over $100 a week on groceries and the only meat we buy usually is some chicken and ground turkey breast. We do a lot of rice and pasta too. I really don't know how families do it these days without eating bunches of mac and cheese from the box!
Don't even get me started with gas prices! (But why is no one complaining to our govn? If Bush was still in office we would see tons on protesters in Washington!