Friday, August 26, 2011

The fall switch from triathlons to off road

Jackson County Triathlon was potentially the last triathlon of the season for me.  There is the Midwest Meltdown this weekend, but I have the North Face Marathon on Saturday and we are looking at taking R2 to the Karno Kids run Sunday.  So... I GUESS I could manage to be a supporter JUST THIS ONE TIME... maybe.  =)

Oh, and local yokels Mark and Scotty will be running the 10k and marathon relay respectively.  Go team KC!  (don't tell them they are slackers for not running the full marathon or 50k)

Now it's focusing on a marathon and the Wakarusa Off Road Challenge on 9/10/11.

TRAINING
Kicked off Wakarusa prep with a ride through Shawnee Mission Park.  It's a semi-technical trail with rocks and roots, more so that I remember when i was there like in March.  It was time to get some balance back and add in a little trail run.

Well, it's obvious it's been a while since I had been on the trails.  From me to you, when you transition to fall endurance sports, here's some trail tips:
  1. Trees don't move.  Pay attention to the trail and handle your bike at all times.  You can't take a minute off because if you lose balance or veer suddenly, trees don't jump out of the way.
  2. Tune up your bike.  It had been a while and shifting was horrible.  Dropped it off at my LBS and it was right as rain for my ride!
  3. Plan your moves in advance.  You should have your eyes up planning your next 2 moves before you get there.  If you are staring at your wheels or feet, you're in trouble.
  4. Speed does not kill.  Speed and momentum will get you out of jams.  I'm all about gunning it over rough terrain and just riding over it.
  5. There are some odd people on the trails.  Some gal yelling at deer and exclaiming she has an eye twitch is somewhat unsettling.  Make sure people know you are going and when you should be home so they know to start looking in the woods for your body if you don't come home.  MY EYE IS TWITCHING!  Yikes.
  6. Pick up your feet.  You can't shuffle-run when you trail run.  High knees and balance are key.  I just about biffed it 10 feet into my run.  Nothing more embarrassing.
  7. Bugs.  Don't forget your bug spray.  I did, but I got lucky and left bug-bittenless.
  8. Fluids.  Just because you are in the woods doesn't mean you don't get dehydrated.  Bring fluids.
  9. Bring a sense if humor.  I haven't been on trails since March.  If you are all serious out there and getting mad you had to clip out for balance or walk some technical parts, then where's the fun in that?
Training is suppose to be fun!  Hope you have some!  In the immortal words of Bart Scott, "CAN'T WAIT!"


Trees don't move.  Looks bad, that finger may have to come off.
It's not as clean as my truck, but the Trance is tuned up!



2 comments:

Mark said...

Thanks for the info. I have an old diamondback MTB that I'm getting "ride-able" and plan on heading to SMP. The tips should help.

RFalkenrath said...

Hope you enjoy roots and rocks!