Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Rock the Parkway Half Marathon by @KCRunningCo preview

Rock the Parkway Half Marathon has become a big race since it's inception 3 years ago.

Somewhere around 7000 people are expected between the half marathon and 5k this Saturday!  That's crazy for a 3 year old race!



_______________________________________________________________
My goals...
It's somewhere between an "A" race and a "B+" race.  My PR so far at the half marathon pace was here last year.  I even did that after riding my bike 17 miles to get to the start.  I'll probably ride in a car with a friend or drive this year, but I'm not sure what shape I'm in compared to last year.

Last year was a 1:41:28.  I'd love to get sub 1:40, but I've been training by heart rate on the long runs lately and slogging through 10 or 12 miles at 9 to 9:30 minutes per mile.  That just doesn't instill me with confidence about being speedy.  I have been staying on my speed and threshold work on non-long run days, so I'm putting some blind faith in the fact I can hold a higher speed for longer distance come Saturday.

That being said, I still have a minor knee bug, but it's around 80% better.  I do not want a set back, so if I'm not feeling it, I have no problem slowing down and sacrificing time for injuries.

The main goal is to finish the race and keep on the path to complete the Heartland 39.3 race series.  You have to finish all three half marathons to get the series medal.  Who doesn't want more medals and more t-shirts!?




_______________________________________________________________
The course...
I wrote up a detailed report on the actual course and what to expect.  Check it out HERE.  It's not too rough for hills and it's nice coming into a decline for the last mile.  I was able to push sub 7 minute miles coming in for the finish in 2011.

The elevations are favorable, the course is visually appealing, but the weather may be rain and storms.  Time will tell...



_______________________________________________________________
Administrative stuff...
If you're in the event, read on about what's going down for packet pickup.

The 2012 Rock the Parkway Expo will be held at the lower level of the Overland Park Convention Center 6000 W. 111th St. Overland Park, Kansas. The expo will open for packet pickup at 2pm on Thursday, April 12 and go through 7pm and will reopen at 11am on Friday and go through 7pm Friday evening. We have more than 40 exhibitors at the Expo and we will have a free Rock the Parkway photo booth set up at the Expo for you to take a photo at the front of the pack!

Rock the Parkway Participant Guide. We have additional information on the expo, race parking, the bag drop, the food and beverages, the course, and the pre- and post-race plans in our 2012 Rock the Parkway participant guide. To access the downloadable participant guide, click here. We will not be handing out any course maps or other information about the race at the expo!

Man Vs Running Apparel - Check out the online merchandise site for Man Vs Running (teaming with Heartland 39.3 race series and Man Vs Triathlon) apparel in a variety of sizes and styles HERE!  There will also be Rock the Parkway apparel at the Expo available for purchase.

Meet the Pace Group Leaders - Rock the Parkway Half Marathon is once again teaming up with SmartPacing to provide pace groups leaders for pace groups in 5 minute increments from 1:30 to 3:05! Click here to meet the pacers and learn more about the SmartPacing program!

Volunteers are still needed for the race expo and on race day for a
variety of tasks. Contact Brad@rocktheparkway.com if you are interested in helping out!

1 comment:

Christi said...

Have a great race Ryan!