Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Running with the Cows Half Marathon preview #IRunWithCows

Yes, I'm running with cows this weekend...
Probably not with real cows, that would be a slow race.


_________________________________________________________________
There are many opportunities for this race...
  1. Set a new PR.  The course is flat and open.  The weather is looking perfect for running.  Starting in the 50's to 60's and highs in the mid to high 70's.  Not too hot.  Not too cold.  Perfect conditions.
  2. It's the final race in the Heartland 39.3 race series.  I've placed decent in the other two races, Rock the Parkway and Kansas Half Marathon.  I'm not sure what the standings are looking like, but hopefully I get get in the top 10%.  I probably won't be qualifying for any prizes,  but you get a sweet extra medal and shirt for completing the series.
  3. I've never raced this event.  It's 20 mile from my house, so maybe it will be something to put on the calendar for the future.  Always fun to try a new event, right?
Nice "flat" course!


_________________________________________________________________ 

The right gear for the job...
It's been good start to the endurance races with a PR's at half marathon, 10k and 5k race distances.  I'd like to think I have the right gear dialed in.
  1. Puma Bolt Faas 400's.  The are light, they are supportive and they have flare.  It's like wearing a sock with a little bit of cushion.  Super light!
  2. SIX Nutrition.  It keeps me balanced with tweaking me out.  It's replaced a mountain of supplements I was taking before to keep joints, muscles and mind in good shape with a loaded schedule of family, work and endurance sports.
  3. Push Endurance.  Nutrition is key.  Sports gels are no longer my friend so I had to re-work the nutrition.  I hit energy chews an hour before the race and use Push mixed with G2 for the race.  I supplement with aid station drinks if I run out.
  4. Clothing.  I use generic running shorts with under armor and my MVT Man Vs Running tech shirt.  So far the nipples stay non-chafed and I'm not over heated or overly cold.  Just right.

_________________________________________________________________ 
I have to keep IM KS Training in mind...
I still need to keep my bike miles up.  It's a struggle as biking doesn't fill as well into a busy home life schedule.

Since I would like to PR the race, I need to avoid a workout Friday unless it's swimming.  That means I need to get a big ride in Thursday morning or at some point.  I can't do it Sunday because that will be getting too close to the Kansas City Triathlon the following week.  I would like a good showing, so I don't want to be wiped out from a long ride too close to that triathlon.

It's a delicate balancing act.


Hopefully I will see some of you locals out there this Saturday!

No comments: