Thursday, October 11, 2012

Decision day is looming...

So as you know... or may not know...
We have moved, I injured my achilles and with work and kids and dogs, endurance sports have hit the back burner so to speak.

On the moving front...
...like I posted earlier, we have everything at our new house, but in boxes and basically everywhere around the house.  I was going to hit a quick ride yesterday, but could not find my helmet.  I was about to use the TT helmet, but I ran out of time after spending too much time going through boxes.  I solved that by unloading the tri gear.  When you are looking for something specific and don't have 30 minutes to put everything away from one box, you tend to sit it where it fits and find what you wanted and move on, leaving the other stuff just sitting there.  That's moving.

On the achilles front...
...it's finally turning around.  I can run and ride pain free and working with PT and massage therapy at Kent's to get a plan to correct some running form issues to stop this in the future.  In the process of recovering, I was limited to swimming and pool runs.  I'm not dissing on pool runs, but they are just not the same as running on the road.  I hit 9 miles last Saturday and that went well, but I need to be up for 26.2 in a week and a half.  That's a tall order.  I might have to move down to the half marathon and focus on the North Face 50k in mid-November.

Need to consult with Coach Bob and see what he thinks.  I think I know the answer will be to throttle it back, but maybe he has an idea I haven't thought of.  I definitely do not want to go backwards in recovery.

At least now we have a fence in the back yard for the 3 dogs!  That was insane having 2 labs and a German Shepherd running around the house all at once all the time.  CRAZY!

It's hard not to be hard on yourself when you can't workout like you want due to injury and life circumstances.  At least it's not triathlon season, gasp!  I find myself always wanting to be pushing the edge and getting everything I can from the day from all aspects of life.  I would hate to look back and think if I missed opportunities for anything because it was more comfortable to sit on the couch and watch tv or I was too tired.

;)

1 comment:

Mark said...

I feel for ya on the injury front. A stress fracture in my hip has made for an earlier-than-planned start to my offseason.... :(