Friday, January 3, 2014

Lookie who's on the list for the LA Marathon Blogger Challenge Team

I'm going back to Cali, Cali, Cali 

I'm going back to Cali.. hmm, I don't think so...


I've been out to the west coast a few times, but never for an endurance event. Well, on March 9, 2014, that all changes!  The ASICS Blogger Challenge Team has invited ME (of all people) to come along and train for 12 weeks and throw down a 26.2 mile run on March 9.


They have training plans from the likes of Andrew Kastor - @CoachKastor. He works with top runners such as Ryan Hall, and is married to Deena Kastor, the 2004 U.S. Olympic bronze medalist and U.S. women's marathon record holder.  Not bad.  I'm already a couple weeks into the plan and this will be the second marathon of the six I will have ran after LA that I have actually specifically trained for.  Most past marathons have been an afterthought to close out the triathlon season which I already had my base training done, just jammed in a few long runs leading up to the race.

My best time was the KC Marathon in 2013 at 3:48:13, almost 3 weeks after Ironman Lake Tahoe.  Not too shabby.  But, I have already been in touch directly with Coach Kastor and spewed out my goals, and he thinks they may be realistic.  OK, I probably think they are realistic and he might have sort of acknowledged it and I read the rest in.  Who's to say...

The big bonus is that ASICS are my go to running shoes.  I've tried a lot and the Gel-1100 series shoes are the standard for my running.  They fit just right with the right support in the right places and have the just right amount of stability and motion control.  It just feels right, you know what I'm saying?  Can't think of a better sponsor for an event I'm getting to run in!

Some final thoughts about my marathon experience and what awaits in LA:
  • Winning KC Marathon time in 2013 was 2:25:56.  Best winning time at LA is around 2:05.  Fast course!
  • 2013 KC Marathon was around 1800 marathon runners, 5900 half marathon runners and 1200 5k runners.  Around 8900 runners.  LA Marathon can have as many as 25,000 runners.  Can we say little fish in big pond?
  • Average high temp in LA around that time is 69.  Average temp for KC is 60 for the KC marathon in October.  I think I can handle 9 more degrees.  :)

Looking forward to kicking off the 2014 endurance season in LA!


No comments: