Friday, May 16, 2014

Ironman Texas pre-game thoughts

So, it's here...  Ironman #2 at Texas.

And I'm sort of ready.  I wish I had more time on the bike, but it's too late now.  I do get a reprieve as of right now that the may may be westsuit legal for everyone and the temps may max out around 85 degrees.



I went on a test ride to make sure the bike made the trip ok with fellow Ride to Give'r Melissa.  She's racing Ironman Texas for Ride to Give and Team Mallorie.  Check out her Facebook page and check out what's going on.

It was great weather and rolling hills, I'm eager to get on the course without 8000 feet of climbing, above 60 degree weather, no freezing temps at swim start and exit.

But, I'm pretty sure I've done everything wrong training for this Ironman.
  • I've shorted some long rides.
  • I spent way too much time on treadmills and trainers - barf.
  • I drove through the night to get to Texas after a work conference in Oklahoma.  I crashed for a few hours before check-in Thursday.  But, lets just say I'm not going to be totally rested.
  • I have been traveling a lot for work and it's put a kink in training.
  • Stress has been on large supply.

But, I have:
  • Kept 95% of my planned runs and a lot of long runs have been outdoors.
  • Have the LA Marathon training in my endurance bucket to reley on for lack of bike training.
  • Will rest well Thursday and Friday night.
  • Devised an agressive stragidy to stay hydrated without getting a bloated gut as it will still be pretty warm on race day.

So, I feel confident in finishing barring random mechanical issues or logostics foul up on my part.  I would think as long as I play it smart, I can beat my 14:30ish time from Lake Tahoe.  I would hope so anyways... hopefully I can average more than 14mph on a rolling course.

One thing I have learned is not to focus on a time.  I'm going to finish, and I'm going to run my race the best way for myself.  Focus on the details of having everything fall into place and see what happens with the time.

Wish me luck, and oh ya, feel free to contribute to my fundraising for IM Texas at http://www.active.com/donate/kickstartyourheart/T4AHUIMTX.  I'm $715 to my $1500 goal.  Thanks to all that have contributed thus far!  Maybe donate $14.22 or $1.42 for my bib number, 1422!

No comments: