Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Busy Busy Busy

Man that holiday weekend went by QUICK!

Reason #1 it went so quick, basement construction!

Here's what we started with:



Simple enough, right? 13' x 14' space, couple outlets, add a closet, add a wall to the basement, add a hole for a door... Ya, simple. NOT. We "started" Saturday and finished what we got done until 4pm Monday. I use quotes for started since in addition to what I had delivered to the house (that they had to drop in the driveway and I alone had to get it into the garage without destroying the drywall - I think one sheet must weight like 75 or 90 pounds) we also had to run to the Depot to get more supplies. That took from 9am to noon to get what we needed... and then added another trip Sunday for 2 hours or so to get more supplies. That also included waiting for the cable guy to come and run cable while we ran out of framing nails and stuff we could do until we could get to the store. I'll be calling the cable company, the guy was less than cordial and they screwed up telling him what I wanted done. Luckily I got what I needed to move on with the project.

Thank goodness my dad knows his way around tools and carpentry. I may have a graduate degree in engineering, but when it comes to framing and drywall, it's a whole new game. Good game, but new.

AND, this weekend was a taper for the IM KS this coming weekend. That worked out nicely as planned. I was too busy with construction to get any real workouts in so I was forced to take some days off from training. But don't be fooled, 10 foot 2x6 boards and 4x14' sheets of drywall are NOT light and I got a good 3 day weight training experience. So ya, I wasn't out running, riding or swimming... but I was getting a workout none-the-less.

Here's what we ended up with:



With the time we had and what we had to work with, I think we did a pretty good job. It feels like a room for sure. Dad has to come back a few more times to help wrap it up, and hopefully I can carve out some time to sand and add more coats of joint compound to the drywall.

So that was the weekend, more home stuff than triathlon stuff, but sometimes that's the trade off. =)

Here's a shot of my week totals:

2 comments:

Christi said...

IM Kansas! I can't wait. Good luck!

Kathleen said...

Good look in Kansas!