Tuesday, July 6, 2010

No more! Stop!!!!

Weekend #2 of basement finish work...

Dad came up for the weekend of the 4th to help wrap up the basement. He came in Thursday night to get a jump on the work while I went to work Friday morning and took the afternoon off to come back and "help". I say "help", because I'm not much of a carpenter but I mess up what I can. =)

Progress was moving right along until we came into the following road blocks:
1. Water leak problem around the front door.
2. TERMITES!! F***ing little bastards!! They found the water leak which made for easy eating and set up shop around my front door. Sorry for the cursing but that's just frustrating.
3. Emily went in for hospital stay #2 for the week.

So, #1, I guess the contractor that built my house decided the bottom of the decorative windows on the sides of my door didn't need caulking and after 9 years (ya, I never really noticed any problems until I poked my fingers through the floor by the door) the floor around the door had starting rotting in the first inch or so. Combine that with problem #2 and the floor underlay was ate up about a foot out from the door and on each side. They had started into the plywood and made some good progress. Below is the picture of the plywood we cut out and the front door where we ripped up linoleum and replaced plywood.



So, we have had some inspections and they determined they are pretty much all the way around the house looking for places to get in. They are probably in more places but haven't had as much luck with the wood since the front door was getting water and rotting. If they have caused more damage, I don't want to know until I fall through the floor.

As far as #3 goes, Emily was having issues with last week's visit, still. We went in for consistent contractions (not good at 28 weeks) and they pretty much didn't do anything to find the cause, they just treated and monitored. After 8 hours the contractions were less intense and they let us go home to sit around. Hospitals... arg! They had nothing for us as far as answers, but gave her a script for some meds to help out.

So... with all of that we squeezed in some basement work, BBQ Sunday, tame fireworks (smoke bombs, snakes and sparklers), and a little training early in the morning. I did manage to find some time for tri bike adjustments. As I find myself more comfortable on the bike I notice from my race pictures it looks like I'm sitting in a road bike stance and not getting down to be aerodynamic. So, moved some spacers and flipped the stem for the handlebars and moved the back seat forward. I took it for a 34 mile ride Saturday and it was a good adjustment, just need to get the shoulders used to the new position being a little more forward. Stay tuned for updates on how it treats me race day and hopefully I'm not like "I look like that on my bike!? What a waste of aerodynamics..."!


See below of the basement progress. It's pretty much to the point I can wrap it up on my own when I can find the time. Just need to finish the up high work and find a good sale on carpet and installation.

Hope everyone had a good 4th and enjoy the weekly training log.

Sneak peak of next week is termite extermination updates and Shawnee Mission Park Triathlon.



1 comment:

Patrick Mahoney said...

I feel you on the termite damage. Has a way of complicating the projects...