Monday, August 2, 2010

Sunshine Funshine

4:30am 9 mile run or get some sleep and 2pm 9 mile run?

I went with option B. Sleep in and run at 2pm. BAD IDEA!

It was around 90 degrees and 75% to 80% humidity. I loaded up with my waist belt with water bottles and headed out at 2pm. I got to mile 2 before it started hitting me. I tried to get the out part that didn't have much shade over with first. Luckily coming back was on some trails with decent tree coverage. But that didn't really matter as I was wasted at mile 5.

I guess you need a HOT AS BALLS run every now again to fortify your beliefs that running pre-dawn is the best choice this time of year.



I do have to admit, looking at the Garmin connect info, I was able to hold 9 minute miles at the end which in the past, would have been around 10 minutes. So, I didn't overheat, walked when I needed to, hydrated when I needed to, and made it home. You can clearly see mile 1 and 2, looking good... and then DOWN HILL. Oh and the 9 miles turned into 10.5 since I under estimated the route length. It would have been more but I was walking steep grades on the way back and turned the garmin off for that. Cheater? Maybe, but that's what I did. =)

That run got me over 100 miles for the week and over 10 hours of training in for last week! Double bonus. Since I have a triathlon in 3 weeks, I think this week will be a smaller volume and the biggest volume will hit the week after to allow a taper for the olympic triathlon (A race). THEN, large volume getting ready for Branson 1/2 Ironman!

I'll leave you with last week's training totals and Examiner articles.

WIN FOR KC WOMEN'S TRIATHLON
ROCK CREEK NIGHT TRAIL MARATHON




3 comments:

FLATOUT JIM said...

And think some people pay good money to do yoga in those temperatures!

Go Figure!

KovasP said...

Suffering in the heat will make you do better in your race!

Jon said...

Nice run!