Thursday, September 30, 2010

WATCH WHERE YOU ARE GOING!!

So, weather is nice and I decided to ride the ole bike to work today. No problem. I have warm clothing, tail light, and a 350 lm headlight. I just have to plan ahead to plant my work clothes at work.

Well, the best laid plans can be foiled by a moron in a SUV that doesn't pay attention to a 2 way stop when I have the right of way. Ya, they just drove out in front of me like I wasn't there with my headlights and reflective bike wear. She just gave me a blank look as I put my hands up to way "what the heck?". If you are going to be driving at 6:30am, drink your coffee BEFORE you hit the road and PAY ATTENTION! Luckily I have my head on a swivel and I had no problem slowing down and avoiding her.

Now, I'm 99% sure I had no stop sign. I've ridden this road 100's of times and recall only one stop sign and I already had passed it. It was dark and I looked before going to assure no stop sign. I'll check for sure on the way home but c'mon drivers! Wake up!

Life is getting back to "normal". Kiddo #2 doing good (except for waking up every 1.5 hours at night for feedings) and kiddo #1 is dealing as well as she can. We try and give her special attention, but she does have moments where she pushes our buttons to get attention. Luckily my wife has been great and gave me the week nights off from kiddo #2 duty. I tried Sunday night and just could not function at work. Need to be on top of my game to get through the work day so we have a "deal". I try and pick up slack when I get home and take on kiddo #2 and help with kiddo #1 until kiddo #2 hits the hey and we transition to bed time.

Signing up for the KC marathon today. I've been able to get some long runs in and I think it shouldn't be a problem with the base I have from the summer. Get an 18 or 19er in this weekend and it's all butter. Check out Operation Jack as Sam will be back to run the KC Marathon as well. 61 marathons in one year. Now that's insane!



I've been successful at keeping my pace up while training. Adding threshold training and maintaining my weight has helped a lot. Last marathon in 2005 I gained some weight (eating too much Chipotle cause I was running so much) and my pace suffered from no speed work. Too many junk miles. This marathon should be a lot better even with only about a month of distance training.

I've worked up to starting with a 7 minute at 9 or 10 effort, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 with 2 to 3 minute rest between at a jog. The overall pace isn't great but holding a 6:30 min/mile pace or 7 for 7 minutes is a suffer fest!

With that, I leave you with this thought - when you are driving to work today, watch out for bikes! =)

Latest Examiner Articles:
Redman Triathlon
KC Events this Weekend

1 comment:

Christi said...

I am so glad that you were not hurt this morning! I am always extra cautious of bikers both of the pedal type and the harley type!

Have a great week!