Monday, October 4, 2010

Marathon training in 5 weeks or less...

Done. Signed up for the KC marathon. All signs point to being able to do it. Getting the runs in, no kid due at that time, family members are healthy (for now).

So I just jumped into training since I figured I had 1/2 IM training base from all summer. Even though I didn't run my 2 races completely (HIM Kansas & HIM Branson), I did train for them. So I was working with 10-20 miles per week of running, and I jumped to running 11, 14 and 18 these past Sundays. I'll run a 10 ro 12 miler this Sunday as "taper" and then KC Marathon the 16th. It's probably not the smartest move but I needed some sort of challenge to make up for lack luster 1/2 IM tries.

Notice my training doesn't really match the suggested training from KC marathon site.
KC SUGGESTIONS



MY TRAINING


They look a little different. That's ok. I'm not out for placing or anything. Just do better than Dublin in 2005 where I was 5+ hours and walking the last 4 to 5 miles. Gels and Sports Drinks to get me enough energy to the end.

Check out the latest on Alberto Contador explaining a positive PED test on tainted meat. Nice. I've has some bad meat in my time, but none that could potentially enhance my performance. Don't take my comments too seriously, I'm not a cycling nut but I do find it interesting. I kind of think everyone at that level is doing SOMETHING to get the advantage, it's just that some people get caught.

2 comments:

KovasP said...

Way to use the HIM training! Yeah, mad cow disease in the cycling peloton.

Ransick said...

Good luck on the marathon! I've never done one but my expert advice :-) is listen to your body on the long runs. If it complains too much, DNS so your off season isn't all PT.