Friday, September 17, 2010

Joke o the day

Update on the Kiddo - he comes home tomorrow for sure! He's in his own room without an assigned nurse and off the monitors all together! Emily has a bed in the room and will stay with him until he comes home and gets done with all of his antibiotics. Barring any out of the blue issues, home will be a busy place from now on!

Also, Branson 1/2 IM is off for me. Ya, I could make it work but I'd rather be home when my son comes home and help my wife. Still haven't heard anything from race organizers if they will consider a deferment. Not a word... somewhat frustrating. I have no problem if they come back and say they can't help me out, but at least acknowledge I made the request, don't just ignore me. Ironman is coming close to jumping the shark with so many events now saturating the market. Too corporate?? Time will tell.

Here's a little humor to lighten the mood, enjoy. I did.



Manure... An interesting fact

Manure : In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to be transported by ship and it was also before the invention of commercial fertilizers, so large shipments of manure were quite common.

It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, not only did it become heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by product is methane gas of course. As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen.
Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening

After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the instruction ' Stow high in transit ' on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane.

Thus evolved the term ' S.H.I.T ' , (Stow High In Transit) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.

You probably did not know the true history of this word.

Neither did I.

2 comments:

Christi said...

That is a good definition to know. Thanks for sharing!

Congrats on the little guy! I am glad to hear he is doing better!

Kathleen said...

Glad to hear that Liam is improving.