Friday, July 15, 2011

KC Marathon has new Director

KC MARATHON ANNOUNCES TROY FITZGERALD AS NEW RACE DIRECTOR


From the KC marathon web site:
After Karen Raymer's retirement last December, we turned to KC Running Company's Troy Fitzgerald to take over the reigns as our new race director. To learn more about Troy, check out our quick QandA and find out what inspired him to take on this new role.

How long have you been active in the running community? I started running with my dad when I was 5 years old and ran my first 1 mile race in Stillwater, OK - 1977. Since then I have been involved with the local running community as a runner, volunteer, coach, or race director.

What races have you helped direct in your past? Amy Thompson Run, Head for the Cure, Free to Breathe, Rock the Parkway, Love 2 Run, Jingle Bell Run, Great Santa Run, Running with the Cows, Lung Hill Run, OP Farmstead Stampede and many more.

How did you get started as a race director? My first job out of college was the Fitness Director of the Wichita East YMCA. One thing I did as a fundraiser was start a road race called the Pumpkin Run. From then on each job I worked at I either helped them start a race, grow their race or work on their marathon training program. Then in 2008 I formed KC Running Company and started working with the Amy Thompson Run and now we have over 80 races we work on a year.
How does the Kansas City Marathon compare to other Marathons that you have been active in? This will be the first marathon I have directed but have participated in many around the country. This marathon is growing like crazy and has the potential to be one of the best races in the Midwest. The partnership the marathon has with the local community is a huge plus for this marathon, the course highlights the best part of our city.

What are you most excited about this year’s event? Everything!!!

How would you like to see the Marathon grow? I believe that all 4 races (Marathon / Half Marathon / 5K / Kids Marathon) of the KC Marathon can grow. The half marathon will continue to get better and do well but I would like to see the full marathon become more popular around the country. KC is a beautiful place to run a marathon and I think we need to tell the world about our event and get them to KC to experience our great city and our race.

SALES
Save up to 50% on Triathlon Apparel for Men and Women from 2XU, DeSoto, Orca, Louis Garneau, Pearl Izumi and many more!

3 comments:

Christi said...

Would you recommend this marathon?

RFalkenrath said...

Christi, I would recommend this event. It's probably the biggest run besides Hospital Hill Half marathon in KC. I was disappointed with the lack of post race frufru but the course is well supported and you can't go wrong running in early to late October. It's a decently big deal in Kansas City.

Christi said...

That is great to hear. I will have to keep this one on my radar for the future!