Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Training "schedule"

So for a while back in June and July I was doing pretty good at getting workouts in the morning before work.  I usually got 3 to 4 during the week in and did a decent job on the weekends getting up early before the house was moving.

As the temps have lowered and daylight is harder to come by with sunrise later and sunset earlier, I find it hard to get my happy butt out of bed.  Don't get me wrong, I'm all about getting my swim, bike or run on, but I wish it was between the hours of 7am to 7pm.  I do get some lunch workouts in, but eliminating AM workouts just makes everything that much more cramped.



List of things giving me AM workout block and possible solutions:
  1. Later sunrise - can't really control that.
  2. Cooler temps - need more layers of clothes, up earlier, arg.
  3. Cooler temps in bedroom that make those covers EXTRA comfortable - we have a programmable thermostat.  Maybe I'll get that set to raise the temp to like 80 so I'm hot, sweaty and can't sleep at 4am.  I wonder how The Wife would appreciate that....
  4. Just plain tired - get to bed earlier.  Easier said than with chasing two kids until 8:30 and them needing to get stuff around the house done.  It's hard enough with The Wife and I trying to track down the kiddos at night.
  5. Work - if only I could do work whenever I wanted.  The whole 7:30am - 5:30pm deal cramps my style.  Ya know?  If only I could get my 45 in whenever it fit the schedule.  Have WORK run around LIFE, but I don't think that will happen.  =)
Any thoughts out there for you working family stiffs trying to make a go at the multisport life?

4 comments:

Cort the Sport said...

Jobs need more flexibility. I think it's nearly impossible to be productive for 8+ hours in a row, nor is it healthy, mentally or physically. Is a lunchtime workout an option?

I've recently discovered the fun of running pre-sun up with a headlamp. It helps that we aren't real cold here yet, it may be tougher to be excited about that in Jan or Feb!! The bike trainer works well early, and the pool opens at 6 am.

But morning workouts come at a price, I'm tired and worthless after about 8 pm.

It's a daily challenge. I feel for you!!

RFalkenrath said...

Probably a common theme being worthless after 8pm working out in the am....sadly

Mark said...

Every time I read one of your posts about your schedule, I realize how easy I have it. Kudos to you for sticking through it, getting those 4:00am workouts in, and sharing some of your drive and determination through the blog. You may not think so, but it helps me stay motivated, too. Hurry up and get a race schedule for 2012 posted, so I can kill you in some races next year...

RFalkenrath said...

Thanks for the encouraging word! 2012 under construction. Looking at the Heartland 39.3 race series and Groundhog Run so far.