Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Groundhog Run 10k coming up!

This Sunday is the start of the "season" for me!

I'll be lacing up the Puma's for the Children's TLC Groundhog Run.  It's in a cave system that's used for office space and storage.  It's pretty massive and HEATED!  Running in winter at 68 degrees with no wind and relatively flat course is a dream come true.  Usually, at this time of year we have snow, ice and frozen tundra in Kansas City.  This winter has been a little different and it probably would not have been horrible to have a run outdoors, but that doesn't take anything away from the event.


Jan 29, 2012, MVT Presents Man Vs Groundhog Run 10k - in the news and on the Internet!  By the way, if you are looking for some exposure for your business or interests, check out MVT for a chance to get your t-shirt worn during the race.

If you remember last year, I got hassled by railroad police for crossing train tracks at the wrong place.  I think that guy was either pissed he was there early on a Sunday having to watch train tracks or he gets his giggles in life from hassling people.  He seemed to enjoy his role of being a jerk.

Needless to say, he accomplished his mission as I will make a clear cut effort to cross at the right place and avoid any problems this year.  Not really for the fact I respect what they are trying to do, but to avoid dealing with a jerk before a fun event.

ANYWAY, Em was suppose to run the 5k (the 5k starts at 9am and they all finish before the 10k starts), but it's looking like that won't happen.  I'm tempted to wear her bib and use the 5k as a nice warm up.  I've run 7 10k's and last year was my PR at this very event for a time of 46:02.  Now, I did set a PR at the 5k distance in December at the Jingle Bell run, which I was trying to get sub 20.  I'm always competitive to do better than the previous year, which would mean another PR.  I think my off-season has gone well, but this run is usually a barometer of where my fitness is at this point.

I did get my VO2 max tested and it was too bad.  If you want to know what it was, you have to be on the email newsletter list by Friday!  Sign up under my profile to the left.  I'll put it in there this weekend.  Nice teaser, right?  =)

I would like to say I'm going all out, but there are a lot of factors beyond race day that may play into how things shape up.  You know, things like port-a-potties, kids and too many things to count.

Stay tuned for the report next week.

1 comment:

Christi said...

Good luck at your race! It sounds very interesting and one I would like to do sometime.