Friday, January 13, 2012

Is VO2 Max really important?

Would finding your VO2 Max be valuable to your training?
I'm not sure, but I'm about to find out.  Yesterday I was tested and find out the nuts and bolts of the results today.

It was an interesting experience to say the least.  I was lucky enough to find a study to get the test done without cost to me.  Cost is a major prohibitive factor from most of us average age groupers getting tested.  It's thrown around with Lance Armstrong being around 85 (which is insane).  In comparison, the testing facility said the highest VO2 the found in the Kansas City area in all of their testing was a hard core cyclists and he was 70.  Just to put it into perspective...

So hopefully I score more than the 45 for most sedentary people, but I doubt I will sniff the mid to high 60's.

To document the experience, I'm writing a series of Examiner articles.

The first installment is basic definitions of VO2 Max.  Later on I will go into how the test works, my experience, results and what they mean and what you can do to improve your VO2 max and if it's even worth trying to improve.

Click HERE or the image below to read the first Examiner article.


Stay tuned!

No comments: