Wednesday, June 6, 2012

N - y - BIG Q - u - i - l

It's like Dennis Leary said...
"I don't do illegal drugs anymore. Now I just do the legal drugs. Tonight I'm on NyQuil and Sudafed. Let me tell you something, folks. Forget about cocaine and heroine. All you need is NyQuil and Sudafed. I'm telling you right now, I took the NyQuil five years ago. I just came out of the coma tonight before the fucking show! Claus Vanbulo was standing over my bed going, "Denis, get up! There's something the matter with Sunny! Hurry up!" I love NyQuil. Man, I love it! I love it. I love it. I love it. It's the best thing shit ever invented. Isn't it, huh? I love the name alone. NyQuil - Capitol N, small Y, big fucking Q! I love that fucking Q, don't you!? What a great advertising idea! Put a huge fucking Q on the box. They'll get high and stare at it. "The Q is talking to me! The Q is talking to me!"


I quote Leary since starting Sunday I've been battling a nice little cold.  Could it be from the increased training load?  Building decks for days at a time? Running a half marathon and then chopping wood for 4 hours afterwards? Could it be from hanging out at Children's Mercy with Wee Man?  If want to get sick, the hospital is the best place to go, right?  ;)

At any rate, I'm under the weather.  NyQuil to sleep at night and sudafed to "function" during the day.  NyQuil knocks me OUT and sudafed makes me drowsy.  It's a toss up.  Go through the day somewhat stoned or stopped up and can't breathe at all?  No win.

The timing is "good" I suppose for tapering for IM KS this Sunday, but no one wants to run a triathlon coming off a cold.  I'm hoping by Friday I'm on the tail end.  It's gunna be close.


Heart Rate is where it's at...
So I was curious about how closely I stuck to my 150 to 155 beats per minute range at the Hospital Hill half marathon last Saturday.

Thanks to my trusty Garmin 310XT, I have some nice purdy graphs to look at.


As you can see, I've drawn lines for my range of 150 to 155.  Technically my zone 2 range is 134 to 140, but I've discovered that range is probably a bit low compared to what I've raced at without going by heart rate.  So, I bumped it up.

I've adopted Coach Bob's philosophy on heart rate training for long rides and runs and though it has stretched my runs out than I'm used to, I would have to say it's yielded positive results.  Every one of my 4 half marathons this year have been better than any PR before this year.  Make sense?  I'm running faster at longer distances even though I'm training slower on long training runs.  Don't forget the speed and threshold work on shorter runs, though.

From that graph, I wasn't exactly in my target range the entire race.  Hills made up for the majority of going over as I held off from speeding up to stay with the crowd until the last 3/4 mile that was all downhill.  And at that point, I'm around 183...  =)  Overall a success for me, and hopefully it pays off this Sunday.

I'll probably write something a little more detailed up for EverymanTri.com taking a look at training and race data to see if I have made any improvements.


Last week before tapering...
Last week was my last chance to get any distance in and have it mean anything for IM KS besides wearing my body out.

This week is about recovery, even though I'm sick with a cold.

Here's the numbers from last week.

BIKING - 79 miles
RUNNING - 17.3 miles
SWIMMING - 5225 yards
TOTAL DISTANCE - 99.4 miles
TOTAL TIME - 08:35 hours

I was looking for one more swim session, but didn't happen.

It's been an adjustment as my body has rejected early morning workouts.  I find myself waking up realizing I've hit snooze for 45 minutes to an hours and didn't even remember doing it.  It wasn't my wife, the alarm is on my side.  Not sure if that's my body telling me I need more rest or just plain worn out.

That means more cramming in workouts over lunch and after work.  Over lunch takes a little longer than I like and after work means either taking kids to gym daycare or having Em get them and getting home later.  Not really ideal either way.

I don't think with the cold that this is the week to try and get back on the AM workout trail.  We'll see what next week holds, but I need to find that pattern again and shift sleep time.

No comments: