Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Got Garmin?

Raise your hand if you run with a Garmin GPS sports watch. (it's ok if you raised your hand reading on your computer, no one can see you)

Now raise your hand if you use a Garmin 301XT.
All you people that don't have your hands up, go out and get one!

Why do I bring this up?? I'm now without mine for some indeterminate amount of time. The back light flickers and won't stay on when I hit the buttons when it's dark out. So... sent it in to Garmin to have it checked out. I'm having withdrawal. I feel naked without it. Luckily I can borrow my wife's 205 and it will work in a pinch.

Why do I pimp the 310XT? I started out with the trusty Forerunner 201. It was a great entry level GPS and did what I needed, which was track running. As I got more into it, I needed more out of it. I needed better reception on cloudy days, easier access to download workouts, and bike riding GPS as I entered into triathlons.

Enter the Forerunner 305. It met my needs for a long time. That was until the face place just couldn't take the beating after 2 years and came off. I glued it back on and it worked just fine, but I was looking for a replacement.

[play angels from heaven music] Enter the 310XT!

Waterproof. It has the options I needed, quick release system that was easier to work with then the 205 and 305, ANT capabilities that I could track trainer rides with a cadence sensor, great reception and longer battery! DC Rainmaker has the in depth review if you need more reasons why you should own one! Luckily it was Christmas time last year and BAM! I was on the leading edge of GPS.

The beauty part was the ease of use. I don't use this sucker to it's full capabilities.

A. I'm not a super techie
B. I just don't have the time
C. I'm sort of a training minimalist

When I say I'm a training minimalists, by that I mean I don't train by heart rate, cadence, wattage, etc. I base my training on speed work, a good plan, and perceived rate of exertion. Maybe the 310XT is overkill, but I'm definitely jonesing to get mine back! I can transfer my workouts to myGarmin and prod around to see my pace and splits and I'm now without it! (probably could download with the wife's 205 but who has the time to get it synced, etc).

If you're looking for the perfect Holiday gift for the multisporter in your life, the 310XT is it!



Check out:
Buy.com They are also having 10% off $75 or more and some free shipping deals- $328.12
TriVillage.com - $379.95

6 comments:

KovasP said...

I looked into this but at $100+ over the 305, couldn't quite justify it. I'm getting the 305 for xmas from my wife!

Jason said...

I can't justify this purchase either --- YET!

I have the 305 and love it. I use it for running and cycling.

Now the 310 obviously does the swimming part but do I need a GPS to show me the buoys I swam? I have a timex ironman that i use on race day since the course is laid out for me I don't find a use for the GPS. I use the Timex in the pool---me and the black line don't go very far apart.

Can you tell me why you love it that much more than the 305 and why it would be good for me?

I can't seem to justify it outside of having a really cool new purchase.

Unknown said...

You know, I've been trying to talk myself into the 305 instead of the 310 and you're not making it any easier :)

RFalkenrath said...

Jason, I agree about the swimming part. DC Rainmaker did an in depth post about the swimming feature. The older units need an upgrade for thw swimming GPS tracking or else it would show you swimming twice what you really did. GPS doesn't work when under water. But, when you switch it to swim mode with the upgrade, it changes other features that affect bike and running. So, like you, I don't use it specifically for the swim features. BUT, since it is water proof you can wear it from start to finish of a race. I just ignore the swim distance. Try that with a 305 and you have fried it. With the quick release (305 has it as well) and the shape of the 310xt, it's simple to twist off the wrist strap, on to the bike, off the bike and back onto your wrist. With my 305 I had to remember to start it on the bike and add the swim time from a stop watch our something else or wait for results to be posted.

Also nice is the wireless features. ANT stick with wireless data transfer is sweet! No plug ins. Just slide the USB stick into your computer and turn on the garmin. Wireless cadence is nice as well. With the 305, I'm pretty sure you cannot ride on a trainer indoor and keep your stats. With the ANT cadence sensor you can ride your trainer, track speed, time and cadence!

Basically the 301XT freed me from a timex for swims, having a bike computer for trainer rides indoors and no cables.

Plus I sold my 201 and 305 online and the difference between buying the 310XT and the other models was lessened.

Yes, it is more expensive, but it makes life a lot easier for triathletes.

Christi said...

I want one! Will you tell Santa for me!

RFalkenrath said...

Here's his website to write him - http://www.emailsanta.com/email_santa.asp