Saturday, August 18, 2012

2012 Jackson County Triathlon preview

I've participated in this event for the past 6 years!
So, if anyone knows the sprint and long course of this event, it's me.


It's a great event with a lot of history.  This will be year 30 that it's been in existence, 7 years under the current RD.

Last year was a great time of 2:05, but that was aided by an accidental misstep by race officials and the swim course got turned to shore too early.  What was to be a 1500 meter swim was probably like 700 to 800 meters.  Oh well.  Swimming isn't my strong suit, so all the better for me.

Temps are looking good these days around KC.  Lows in the 50's at night and highs in the mid 80's.  I'm thinking wetsuit legal!  Even more help on the swim.

It's been a hectic summer with starting a new job and finding my groove there.  Selling and buying a house.  2 small kids.  I would be lying if I didn't say that training and the endurance world has been on the back burner.  But, what can you do?  That's life for the most of us working stiffs that race triathlons as weekend warriors.

Plus, somehow I managed to torque my shoulder picking up my computer back and all the crap in it the wrong way.  It's better today, but I can still feel the sore spots.  Annoying more than anything.

As far as my goals for the race, I'd love a sub 2 hour time, but seeing that I was spotted 800 meters on last year's swim and still finished at 2:05,I'm not sure how realistic that is.

The bonus is that I haven't been working house renovations and we have not started packing to move out house.  I should be somewhat fresh for the race.

Good luck to everyone running out there and keep your eyes peeled for me!  I'll be wearing my Team Wheaties shirt pre and post-race and have some Wheaties swag to hand out.  More on Team Wheaties coming soon!

No comments: