Thursday, September 20, 2012

Injuries are a part of the game...

Are you hurt, or are you injured?
If you have ever seen The Program, you know what I'm talking about.






Last weekend was a normal planned 2 hour run for the upcoming KC Marathon.  While out there, it became apparent that I had strained my right achilles tendon... or at least done enough damage to the calf areas over time that the flare ups are becoming a bigger deal.

I have kept achilles flare ups at bay over the past 7 to 8 years with sports massage, rollers and ice.  That addressed the symptoms, but never the cause.  I thought I just had tight calves.

As I found out this week, there's a reason other than just "that's the way my body is".

Paid a visit (and you will pay) to a sports clinic and the chiropractor performed some analysis and shot video of me running.  I lean at the hips and pronate badly, especially with the right foot.  It was painful to watch the straight line shot of me running and watch the right foot twist inward sharply at the bottom of planting to push off.

I'll be hitting some PT and therapy to correct some scarring damage and build some strength in the lower calves to help alleviate the pronation and leaning.

In the mean time, I'll be hitting the pool for water running and avoiding the bike and real running for the remainder of the week.  I'm injured and can still play, but I need to take some action to avoid becoming injured with a severe tear or complete tear of the achilles.

That sucks, especially since the fall weather is AWESOME around here and it's perfect running weather.

3 comments:

Becky H said...

Wow... glad you were able to find someone that could help you. I have been struggling with plantar fasciitis since January, and have finally faced the fact I likely need to go do the same thing. Will be totally worth the bill, but so hard to cough it up!! Hope you heal quickly!!

RFalkenrath said...

Like you, it took me a while to come around to checking out an official opinion. So I wasn't exactly looking, but I think it will be well worth it if I want to continue endurance sports. I highly recommend finding a sports clinic to help you find a better way to run.

T-rev said...

Do you run with a forefoot strike? I am starting to understand the minimalist movement in shoes ever since I switched to Saucony Fastwitch 5's...in those I mostly forefoot or midfoot strike instead of heel strike and I have stayed injury free. Do some research if you haven't already. I think that might help.

Also, listen to your body. There's no shame in walking for fitness.