Thursday, November 15, 2012

Preview of #TheNorthFace #EnduranceChallenge Kansas City 2013

It's almost here... 50k of fun!
This Saturday will be around 31 miles of pure fun and bliss at The North Face Endurance Challenge.  It will be my first venture past 26.2 mile.  I guess it was a natural progression to want to push the envelope after running 5 marathons (wow, it doesn't feel like 5...).  I feel pretty comfortable that I can be prepared to run a marathon, especially when I the past few have been on shortened training schedules for one reason or another.

If you're hitting any of the distances this Saturday, keep an eye out for me in my Team Wheaties gear!  I might even have some coupons on my to give out.



From my post yesterday, I'm fretting a little about the training schedule I had available to work with.  Injuries shouldn't be an issue, and finishing shouldn't be out of the picture.  I just wonder how miles 20 to 31 will treat me.  Might be a lot of soul searching and wishing I opted for the half marathon.  =)

I looked up some thoughts on training for ultras and 50k's.  Hmmmm.... I have a good base to start training, and the KC marathon worked well for a long run, but overall my mileage was on the low side.  Luckily, Saturday night will be spent going out with the wife for our 5 year anniversary, so rest and recovery post race.  She's running the 5k Saturday, so we are celebrating 5 years pounding the pavement.

I do like the quote, "If you have completed a marathon or two, you can--in 16 weeks--add an ultramarathon to your running resume."  I didn't have the 16 weeks, so hopefully I can rely on my marathon running experience.  ;)

I found another site with recommendations for training for a 50k.  They suggested 16 weeks as well.  If you look at the weekly mileage, I'm a little off.  Oh well.

I'll be the moron out there to prove you don't need 16 weeks of high miles... just toss in a quick marathon and some water running and no problem.  I'm not sure why I searched out training plans 3 days before the race.  Maybe too late?

If you are running in the race, here's some info about packet pickup and Dean Karnazes stopping in for Q and A the night before.
  
Packet Pickup and EXPO Participants may pick up their race swag, bibtag and race number at the The Endurance Challenge Expo prior to the race. You must show a government-issued photo I.D. to pick up your race number. PACKET PICKUP and EXPO Hours
  • Thursday, November 15: 10:00 AM-8:00 PM Courtyard Marriott Country Club Plaza 4600 JC Nichols Parkway Kansas City, MO 64112
  • Friday, November 16: 10:00 AM-6:30 PM Courtyard Marriott Country Club Plaza 4600 JC Nichols Parkway Kansas City, MO 64112
  • If you are not able to make it to a Packet Pickup Location during the above mentioned hours, friends or relatives may pick your bibtag and race swag for you, but only with a updated copy of your ID or Drivers License.

COUNTDOWN TO kansas city

PRE-RACE PANEL DISCUSSION On Friday night before the race, the Endurance Challenge will host a panel discussion featuring The North Face athlete Jordan McDougal and Dean Karnazes, Challenged Athletes Foundation team member Earl Barnes, The Biggest Loser contestant Coleen Skeabeck and Endurance Challenge race director, Nick Moore. Panelists will answer questions regarding the race and offer their own advice and experiences from the road. The panel event will start at 6:30 P.M. at the Packet Pickup location.

No comments: