Wednesday, November 14, 2012

What's it take to run an ultra?

I'm not sure, but I wonder if what I put in will get me there...
It's been an odd fall season.  Throw in moving our house and new jobs, and that leaves little time to address things like training and running.

Tack on my achilles injury and you have even less time to train.

I raced the Kansas City Marathon in late October (less than a month ago) and that went pretty well.  Only seconds off my marathon PR.  My longest run was 16 miles and I only got a handful of actual runs in the two months before the race due to injury.  I was in the pool water running, but it's just not the same.

So, with the lacking of running and only getting 6 to 7 hours of overall traininig in per week, I'm wondering what the North Face is going to look like.

The past two weeks I got in 15 and 18 miles of running.  I've tacked on some biking and swimming for cross training, but also balancing marathon recovery while keeping the endurance base I have.  The good aspect is that the achilles is feeling strong.  I'm still hitting PT for some Grafton work and using the strength and stretching exercises they gave me.  Hoping to put the achilles issue away for good with changing my running form a little and adding some strength to the lower legs.

I'm thinking it won't be fast, but I'll get it done.

More thoughts tomorrow on the actual race and the experience last year.

No comments: