Thursday, January 24, 2013

2013 Groundhog Run 10k Preview

The Groundhog Run has been a mainstay in my endurance calendar...
I think since I started running any real distance, I've always ran TGR. They have a 5k and 10k option, it's in a cave, virtually no elevation changes and it's kind of like an official kickoff to my endurance race season.
Last year was my 10k PR at 43:56. This course is the perfect setup to shoot for PR's. It's in climate controlled caves with no effects of weather and is virtually flat. You can't miss and that's why it's either a sellout or pretty darn close to one every year.

So it's good to have goals...
I'd like to get sub 40.
I'd rather no throw up or die trying to do it.
I'd like to say I've devoted time to increase my running speed.
What I can say is that I have consistently logged more winter miles.
While maintaining high zone 2 on long runs, I've been faster without more effort.
I'm on stretching and strength programs for achilles and spine issues.

So there can be no other conclusion but to think that I'm going sub 40.

"The cadet's logic is sound."
In reality back on earth...
I'm going to give it all I have without puking and see how I do.  I won't beat myself up if I do worse than last year.  It's more of a personal challenge to keep improving, but not at the expense of hurting myself or hurling on competitors.

I'm using:
  • PowerBar Gel Blasts for pre-race
  • Evolution Solution for pre-race (since it's a 10k, if I need fluids, I'll take them on the course)
  • Team Wheaties running gear
  • Asics Gel 1150's or 1160's
  • Garmin 910XT
  • KU visor, of course
  • Maybe my Burrito sockguy socks
Nothing too mind blowing there.  Running races are nice in the fact they are simple and you don't need your suitcase of gear.

No comments: