Sunday, October 17, 2010

Kansas City Marathon Race Report - 10/16/2010

Well, that went well...

That's what I said after the KC marathon.

2005 Dublin Marathon - 5:11:27
2010 Kansas City Marathon - 3:53:10

5 years shaved 1 hour and 18 minutes.  Not bad.  I'll take it.  Worst post race issue was two blood blistered toes and once I popped those, it was all good.  Legs are a little tired but I was even able to get a recovery ride in this afternoon and play with the family at a park!



I wonder what I could have done if I trained properly.  I'm not trying to brag, but that was by far the best long distance race all around.  Felt good doing it.  Got to the end without wanting to die, but had nothing left.  Able to walk at home afterwards and function the next day.

I'll give you the quick run down:

PACKET PICKUP
Pretty smooth for the most part.  They could have had someone there to tell you where to start but if you just walked up to a table, they were pretty helpful.  Good amount of demo booths if you had time to check them out.  Not a huge amount of goodies.  T-shirt, bib, timing chip and some coupons with a bag of wheat thins.

PARKING
If you got there around 6:45 you were ok.  Race started at 7:30.  Past that, you're warmup was running to the start line.  There is a lot of parking downtown so generally it's not a huge problem.

PORT-A-POTTIES
Here's where the race started rubbing me the wrong way.  I did the half 2 years ago and they had A LOT of port-a-potties.  This year it seemed like half for A LOT of people.  I got in line at 7am and didn't get out until 7:27am to run to the start to just catch the start gun.  It was ridiculous.  They needed a lot more potties.  A LOT MORE.

RUN!!!
I will say the course was well stocked with aid stations, supplies, potty stops and cheering.  I think the longest stretch between aid stations was 2.5 miles.

Spending the summer trained up for 1/2 Ironmans, which I didn't get to finish any of them, my shortest weekend runs were about 7 to 8 miles.  With a change of scenery, I was amazed to see miles 0 through 11 fly by.  Paced EASY for the first 2 and then hit my stride around 8:15 minute miles.  Miles 11 - 12 brought some tough hills and it was down hill from there.

12 through 13 were the first walls.  I was zapped after the hills.  Luckily we had some level to downhill for the next few miles and then came mile 23.  From 23 to the end I walked every mile and the aid stations stretching and staying well hydrated.  I didn't want to cramp or get light headed and I knew I didn't have to push it to get a sub 4 hour marathon.

I have to thank my years of multisport knowledge to be now smart enough to realize the importance of fuel and hydration.  Sounds simple enough now, but in 2005 I really didn't know.  I skipped the first few aid stations because I was feeling good.  Took like one GU the entire race and just crashed at the end.

This year, I hit EVERY aid station for gatorade and carried enough gels to eat one every 45 minutes.  Walking for 20 seconds to take in some gatorade and slowing up to take in gel worked to a T.

POST RACE
Here's where the KC Marathon planning fell down.  We got a nice finisher medal and t-shirt.
To go with that, we had luke warm water, bananas, apples, oranges, and boxes of candy.  That was it.  2 years ago they had milk, chocolate milk, pop, gatorade, cookies... and a LOT more.  Seems like either they cut back or all the 5k and 1/2 marathon ate it all.  Pigs.  I was not impressed with the finish line goodies, or lack there of.

FINAL THOUGHTS
That went good enough, I might do another one!  That was a far cry from 2005.

Here are my splits below.  You can see at the end where I was taking the time to stretch.  9:30 to 10 minute miles compared to 12 average in 2010 is a win in my book.



The more important factoid is that I proved I can gave a good marathon... which leads me to believe I can have a good full Ironman if I ever choose to try one.

I also like this overall fitness level of being able to add some training and do something "more challenging".  Every race is a challenge, but most under a 1/2 Ironman are more for time than completion.  This was to prove to myself I can do long distances and do them well without dieing for a week afterwards.  Time will tell if I can maintain this "base" with the new kiddo but as long as he stays out of the hospital, anything's possible.  =o)

Thanks for all the well wishes!  It was a good race and glad I did it!

Here's a few Examiner articles if you need some further entertainment!  =)
Oklahoma Cyclists Laws
Bike Brakes Recall

5 comments:

Christi said...

Congratulations on a great PR!

Sarah said...

I did the half and we didn't have anymore food than you. Promise!

KovasP said...

Great progress! With training, who knows?

Christina said...

Congratulations on an awesome marathon time!!

TRI714 said...

First of all great reduction in time.
2nd- my wifes nephew flew out from KC yesterday. We live in Orange County California, and we told him to fly into Long Beach airport because its small and easy. We picked him up at 12:04 pt. They flew out here to go on a cruise, we picked them up were headed to have lunch and drop them off at the port. He kindly asked how my Triathlon had went on Saturday, I told him. Then he proceeded to tell me how when they got up this morning all these people were running by his loft. I had to laugh, I said yah it was the Marathon. And guess what we are going to need to get real creative getting you to the boat because Long Beach has there Marathon going on right now !
So long story short, he went mid west to west coast smack out of a Marathon to smack into a Marathon. He thinks it's awesome, but like most peoples reply (" i COULDN'T RUN PAST 2 MILES") I always laugh, because even at my worst shape I would never let myself say or admit that. Even though it may have been true.
Anyway's kind of ironic. Again great job.