Monday, November 8, 2010

Monk Pak Review

About a week ago, Monk Pak was added to the list of sponsors for Falkee Triathlon. In partnership with Monk Pak, they sent in two complimentary Monk Paks for review and use!

Dimensions: 4” x 3.5"
Color: Black
Fabric: 600 Denier Nylon

Upon initial inspection, you can’t help but notice the unique Monk logo on the front. It’s definitely professional, sharp, and attention grabbing.











When you open it up, you have two pockets, one large and one small. The strap is elastic with an adjustment clamp that you can fit onto almost anything. The strap will open so you can loop it on something and clamp it back down on say a backpack or handle. That’s convenient if you want to strap it to your bag at the gym or on your bike frame if you are in a hurry. I found it easily fit iPods, most phones (maybe not the larger smart phones), keys, gym membership card, credit cards or cash.
















The adjustable strap allows it to fit on a variety of places. If you hit the treadmill and needs someplace to keep the iPod, the strap will fit over most treadmill arms pretty easily. Just tighten the strap and clamp it down and you are hands free. No need to wear it on your arm.












It does fit nicely on the arm, for which it’s mainly intended. I also discovered it fits 1 to 2 gel packs nicely for a long run if you don’t like to hold them or having them flopping in your pockets, possibly smacking you in places that don’t need to be smacked. I also run and ride over lunch and my work uses a badge system and it’s nice to be able to put the badge in and zip it in, knowing it’s secure and they’d charge me $50 if I lost the badge!


They run $9.99 for one and if you buy more than one at a time, the price goes down. You can’t argue with that! Most arm wallets/packs you see out there run you $20 without shipping. You won’t be able to mess with your playlist with the iPod in the pack, but most of us (well maybe you guys, I don’t usually run with headphones) set it on play and run, right? It’s pretty stable so slipping isn’t an issue.

I look forward to using it for tri’s next season to put my keys, USAT card and money in to keep it all in one place and secure in my transition bag. It’s always been a pet peeve of mine to have to search through the pockets to find where I stuffed everything pre-race after the race when I all I want to do is go home and hose off!

One main difference is the multiple pockets and they all have zippers with a flap that uses Velcro to secure it so it has a nice finished look. You don’t have to worry about anything falling out with zippers!

I for one hope they look into larger packs in the future.

I give it 4 out of 4 tire pumps. Plus, when the 2 year old daughter looks at it and says “oh that’s so cute”, you know you have a visual appeal!

1 comment:

Christi said...

Thanks for the review. The monk pack sounds like a great product~