Friday, January 28, 2011

Grease Monkey Wipes Review

Here it is!  What I've been teasing for a week now!

GREASE MONKEY WIPES REVIEW!



I used them to recently clean up my ZIPP 404 wheels to list on eBay since I switched to Plant X wheels (review on these coming soon - they are on the bike, look sweet and weight next to nothing!).

Lets just say I hadn't completely kept up with keeping the ole trusty ZIPP wheels clean.  With the herky-jerky conclusion to the race season last year, the tri bike and ZIPP wheels went on the bike stand and stayed there since I use my road bike for trainer rides.

So the season end bike clean didn't really happen like it normally would,  Lets just say the ZIPPS had some grease on them, and dirt, and some other unidentified smudges,

POOF - Grease Monkey Wipes to the rescue!



The mission; clean rims, tires, spokes, hubs and cassette - CASSETTE?? you ask, yes CASSETTE, the eater and shredder of cleaning wipes!





Lets just say the dirt didn't stand a chance.  It took about 25 minutes to get all of the nooks and crannies, but those wheels shined up pretty good!  Take a look at the photos below!




PROS:
  • Cool container - I mean, how can you go wrong with a monkey logo?
  • They have a couple of options for how the wipes come to you, canister with easy open lid, box of individual wipes or you can buy a couple individual wipes as you need.
  • Fresh lemon scent!
  • Textured wipes.
  • They work on many surfaces - carbon fiber, aluminum, rubber, metal, skin... without damage.
  • They work!  The grease was easily picked up off the wheels, some rubbing was required on tough spots, but overall the grease and grime comes off with 1 swipe.
  • Cleaning solution does not irritate most skin types.
  • Easier to use than spray on solution and wiping off with cloth.
CONS:
  • The few times I did have to scrub on a tough spot, the wipes would tear.  But, you don't want a tough course clothe to wipe down delicate items like carbon fiber ZIPP wheels.
  • The cleaning solution leaves your hands a little slippery.  All it takes is a washing with soap and water and the solution comes right off.  It's better to get the grease off lickity split and wash with soap than wash only with soap, scrub on your hands for 10 minutes, and you still have grease marks on your hands.
Overall I like the Grease Monkey Wipes.  Well duh, you may say since they are my sponsor, but if I was blowing smoke I wouldn't include any cons, it would all be sunshine.  Right now you can order from their site if you don't find a retailer near you on their site.

They are the right mix of industrial strength without so much that they cause damage to delicate items.  Perfect for bikes that get greasy but have nice finishes you don't want to hurt with abrasive cleaning solutions.  They are self contained, convenient packaging and just right for my needs!

Stay tuned for a future posting with a giveaway including a canister of Grease Monkey Wipes!

2 comments:

fbhidy said...

So, another throw away, non-reusable, disposable cleaning product. Yes they are convenient, but are they environmentally friendly? That would be my number one "con." Just taking up more landfill space...

RFalkenrath said...

Good point. They do say on their site "Grease Monkey Wipes utilize an all natural, sustainable citrus formula that harnesses the power of Mother Nature to handle heavy duty cleaning." But, I know when I'm cleaning up grease off of bike parts or myself it involves paper towels and harsh chemicals or a rag that is usually too nasty to wash and goes in the trash anyway. I'm not sure if they are biodegradable.