Thursday, May 19, 2011

Dude, really?

USB external hard drive.....?  CRASHED!  Just lost 6 months of data...spreadsheet updates, article docs, pictures... luckily I backed up back in November but time escaped and I had not updated in a long time.


If I want to pay $500 up front, I can MAYBE get SOME data back.

Lame.

So here I am.  I lost 6 months of training data, last six months of event details.  While it's not the end of the world, it was nice to be able to look back at historical data.  I'm not sure if I want to go back the backup and update to today.  Probably not for training since I stopped with daily mile a while back.  I have Garmin connect but it does not capture treadmill runs and swims.

What do you guys out there use online?  Training Peaks?  I'm tempted to go all to Garmin connect since you can download into a spreadsheet and look at what you want.  At least that way the data is still there if my files get lost again.

But I also kept stuff like spreadsheets on personal finances, my formulas for rating races, keeping track of Falkee Triathlon.  Gone.

But at the same time it's liberating like Fight Club. "Tell him. Tell him, The liberator who destroyed my property has realigned my perceptions."  I refuse to waste more time dealing with it by recreating past data.  I MIGHT do it for event results.  But then there's Athlinks that does it automatically.

I'm not sure what I will end up doing but I spent the morning trainer ride (morning t-storm forced me indoors) reading Chris McCormack's new book coming out next week.  Check EverymanTri.com for my review coming soon!

Time to stop moping and do something productive instead of trying to explore ways to save my data....

2 comments:

ScottyB said...

I'm still trying to figure out my workout journal. It's much easier for me if I have a specific training plan set because it's already in a spreadsheet and I can just add notes. Granted it was much easier last year when I was just running.

Still trying dailymile but haven't updated it in a week and a half. Tried Training Peaks a few weeks ago but never went back and now I downloaded an app on my Mac (even paid for it) to try that. I'm really wanting something that is more than just time and distance. I like to review heart rate, cadence, splits, etc. Hopefully next year I'll get into zones and wattage. So it needs to be versatile.

As for your USB drive. That sucks! Being a geek in tri clothes, I did put something together in the past that required a little coding to backup my USB drive every time I stuck it in the computer. I wouldn't have to touch anything and it would "just work".

A quick interweb search found a similar utility that is free, USBFlashCopy. Hope it helps.

Mark said...

I track mine via beginner triathlete (fo free). I am starting to learn, though, that I am not getting the analysis and graphs I would like without having to pay a fee. It's currently working, basically since I'm not currently training with HR, Cadence, etc., which will be changing in the very near future. I am looking into creating my own spreadsheets to track, and will be using some type of cloud computing to store it. I like google docs, basically because it's available from my phone, any computer, and automatically saves. I am curius to find out about the garmin connect software, as I am getting a 305 from the GF for my B-day hopefully.