Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Walking on the wild side

Dr Evil - "At the age of [34] a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my [chest and arms]. There really is nothing like a shorn [chest and arms]... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it." - Source

If you missed the reference, I'm talking about the habit of triathletes shaving body hair. Now, women already shave (usually) so it's nothing new, but guys on the other hand... not so much.

I admit I've taken to shaving chest hair.  Due to wearing temp tats for races this year, I need to shave arms and legs to avoid pulling hair out later when I take them off.  I've tried with the arms and it's definitely a new feeling.  You don't realize how much sensory input you get from arm hair until you lose it!  Plus I'm colder more often just sitting around.  Odd.

The theory and rumor for this oddity for guys is lessening resistance in water and if you crash, less problems with scabs and hair in them.  Other than that... I have trouble seeing the real advantage (other than in the nether regions for chafing and what not).

Any thoughts out there?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't know about you nutter triathletes, but I think one of the primary reason cyclists shave is for when you crash. If you have hair, the pavement tends to grab the hair as you slide and rips the hair and skin out as you go.

Then cyclists will blather on about tradition and easier massages, etc. I don't know any cyclists I race with that get post race massages. Although I will say that when your legs are shaved, every pair of slacks you have feels like silk PJs and your socks stay up.

That's gotta be worth something, I suppose.