Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Low lows and high highs

Today's 50 mile ride this morning before work got me thinking.... about...

"Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got.
Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot.

Wouldn't you like to get away?

Sometimes you want to go

Where everybody knows your name,
and they're always glad you came.
You wanna be where you can see,
our troubles are all the same
You wanna be where everybody knows
Your name.

You wanna go where people know,
people are all the same,
You wanna go where everybody knows
your name."


Alarm set for 2:50am.  I got up and moving at 3:30am.  I'm sure Em approved of me hitting snooze repeatedly until I found the inner strength to get up and go ride.

As I hit the road it was a little cool, but NO wind and NO traffic.  The first mile ticked by and I was thinking "I've got 49 more of these to go... why am I doing this at 3:45 in the morning?"

Work has been kicking my ass and then handing it to me on the turn around.  Home is always busy with a 3 year old and soon-to-be 9 month old.  Lump in the last high volume week before taper and I'm burning the candle at both ends.

So at 3:45 am wondering what I was doing out there and why.

I'm not sure I came to a conclusion but when I was at mile 50.01 and I was home and done, I had a nice feeling of accomplishment I haven't been getting from the day job and Em was nice enough to iron my work clothes for the day so I wasn't looking like a slob.  I felt good leaving the house for work...

But now I got here... it's another story.

Hope everyone's training is equally as satisfying.

5 comments:

Christi said...

WOW, you are a rock star. I don't think no I know I would not be able to ride 50 miles before work. Congrats and keep up the great work. You are going to kill IM Kansas!

Tri-James said...

Some of my best rides are before work. I feel like I paid myself first.

Becky H said...

Wow... that's crazy, Ryan you are my new ispiration for getting that training done! Love your committment, you are either doing it becasue you are crazy... or you want to kick a** in your next race. Going to go with the latter...

Fernando said...

At first I thought you were crazy...but now I'm thinking that was smart.

Ransick said...

Getting up at 3 am is hard core! I'm not there yet, but could totally see it at some point. I can also appreciate the satisfaction of getting it done.

Love the Cheers reference. Been a while since I thought about that show.