Monday, July 18, 2011

Ironman on sale already??

So I get an email titled "$199 Early Registration for 2012 Ironman 70.3 Kansas and 2012 Ironman 70.3 Mooseman‏".

Sweet!  Two HIM's for $200!!  Not really.  For the low price of only $199 you can enter IM KS 70.3 (Regular $225) or IM MM 70.3 (Regular $260).

For you New Hampshire people, saving $60 is a decent deal if you know you are going to commit to the race a year out.  For us Kansans, is saving $25 really worth the uncertainty if you will be able to do the race ina  year?  It's not like it has ever sold out in Kansas.

Race entries per the last 4 years for IM KS 70.3
2011 : 1476
2010 : 2019
2009 : 1924
2008 : 1204

As you can see it's gained popularity, but last year was a STEEP decline in registration.  If they want to get back to 2009-2010 numbers, dangling $25 isn't going to get it done, I think.

Give me $75 or $100 and then you have me seriously thinking about next year.



SALES
Christmas in July Sale - Extra 20% Off Select Items at NFLShop.com - Ends 7.21.11.

Columbia Footwear SALE! Save 50-57% On ALL Shoes By Columbia!

4 comments:

ScottyB said...

Any thoughts as to why the massive decline? Makes me feel a little better about my KCCC finish that sameday.

I am planning on doing IM KS 70.3 next year. Do you think they might dangle another discount? I guess it doesn't hurt to wait until 3/9/12 to see.

RFalkenrath said...

Well, could be the weather (not very predictable in KS that time of year). Could be the economy. Could be more HIM choices that weekend. KCCC Triathlon might have taken some people. Or... just way too much money to ride and run around in circles? Not totally sure.

I know IM Branson is doing $50 off this year so if they get desperate, they might. But a lot can happen in a year so better to wait and spend $25 more and not be out $200 if something happened. My 2 cents after doing IM KS for 3 years now.

Mark said...

Typical Ironman.... I here Rev3 does it right. Going to be checking them out. Eventually. But Rev3 doesn't have a race in Lawrence.

RFalkenrath said...

Too bad Rev3 has the closest race in Kentucky...