Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Do you feel like a caged animal?

Do you ever feel like you were meant for more than this?
There are parts of my life I'm content with.
  1. My wife and family give me more than enough satisfaction in that regard.
  2. I don't really want for more in regards to stuff.  I have a nice enough truck, house, tri bike and clothes.  We shop at Target and Kohl's and most of my dress shirts were form the clearance rack and they work just fine.
  3. I'm thankful for the area and country I live in.  Sure, every place has their shortcomings, but mostly I do what I want within the boundaries of society.
But, days when I'm not torturing myself on the bike or running 10 miles, I don't feel whole.

Is that a product of being obsessed with working out?  Is it emotionally unhealthy?  Who's to say....

I stay injury free for the most part.  I'm pretty healthy most of the time (unless the kiddos bring a surprise home from Sunday school).  I'm not over-trained.  I keep my evenings and most of my weekend free for family or house duties.  Most of what needs done in life gets done.

But, there are times when I just don't feel I'm reaching my potential.  It's not a career thing.  I'm not oblivious to the fact I am not meant to be a pro endurance athlete.  But, there's a part of me that feels like I should be pushing the boundaries of what's "normal".  Sitting at a desk, leading a team of employees or whatever goals most people have for a career are fine and dandy, but I'm looking beyond that.

Something that you look back and appreciate the value and experience it added to your life and those lives around you.  For some, that may be mission work or charity, or caring for the sick, or many other options in life.  But for me, I feel the most at home on the bike, in the pool, in running shoes or in x-camp class on the verge of puking or completely exhausted.

I don't know about you, but I'm always looking for more.

1 comment:

Christi said...

I hear ya sir! I am always lookin' for more.