Thursday, August 23, 2012

Getting ready for Midwest Meltdown Triathlon and a swim test

Things are progressing with the coaching...
And I performed a swim test this morning.  We'll be postponing the run and bike tests until after the Meltdown Triathlon this Sunday.

There was a little 1500 meter warm up to get ready, rest and a swim for 30 minutes to see how far I get.  Not really a super sprint, but it's all full endurance capacity to see how far I can get at race pace.

Happy to report that I got to 1700 meters in 30:20.  That's a pace of 1:38 per 100 yards.  Fancy math and my TI-85 converting meters to yards got me that, plus 6 years of college and masters degree in engineering.

I think that's fairly strong considering it was in a pool and I don't do flip turns.  We shall see what Coach Bob does with that info on the swimming torture category.




The Meltdown is coming...
And rain is in the forecast.


Em will be racing the sprint course.  It should be interesting to see how she does considering she has no swam since a triathlon she raced over 2 years ago and hasn't been on a bike since then as well.  Actually, longer since that triathlon was changed to a swim-run due to rain.  That reminds me, I need to get her road bike out of the basement, air up the tires and lube the chain.  Since our house selling adventure, it's been in my mom's basement for safe keeping out of site.  I think her helmet is in there too, somewhere.  Hmmmm....

As for me, I've raced this event 4 times in the past 7 years.  Took off every other year for various reasons.  It's also changed location a few times and I've raced the long course duathlon at the old course, sprint triathlon at the old course and the long and short triathlon at the new venue.

So, I have some historical performances from past events to compare to.

I'll be racing the long course this Sunday.  2010 was the short course where I hit the fastest swim, bike and run splits at this venue.  Reaching 5th overall was the pinnacle of the 2010 season.

I'm not sure how this year will turn out.  I'm looking for at least 20 mph avg on the bike on the super flat course, unless we have a headwind or rain.  Any of those and bets are off.

After last Sunday's Jackson County race, I'm hoping for a sub 7:30 run split.  The run is one lap of the bike course around 5.21 miles.  Between 5 and 6 miles is my sweet spot.  Above that in a tri and I'm shaky at the end.  Below that I can keep a hard pace.

The weather will have a lot to do with race performances.  Duh, right?

Overall it's the last triathlon of the season, so I hope to leave with a good taste in my mouth for the winter.

If you are racing, come find me in my Team Wheaties shirt and I'll spot you with a coupon for Wheaties!


No comments: